Simply stated, yoga benefits every aspect of life. However, that is a bold statement that doesn't really illustrate the MAGIC of yoga.
Yoga creates a strong, flexible body, a balanced autonomic nervous system and a calm mind.
In yoga THERAPY, the emphasis lies in adapting the techniques of yoga to address specific concerns of the individual or group.
DEVELOPMENTAL BENEFITS OF YOGA
- physical poses relate to and promote neuromotor maturity.
- integrate reflexes necessary for creating foundations needed for higher learning.
- Movement of the whole body within the envelope of space which creates sound spatial organization.
- improved endurance and self regulation through breath control
MENTAL BENEFITS OF YOGA
- stress reduction
- improved self concept, self esteem and coping ability.
BENEFITS OF YOGA IN THE CLASSROOM
- children SK-Grade 2:
develop and integrate the foundations necessary for academic success
- children Grade 3-5:
Combined with the Handwriting Without Tears Method (modified) for improved speed and legibility of handwriting.
- combined with principles of sensory integration to address focus and attention difficulties.